January 6, 2014

It's officially 2014. Another year has passed so quickly I barely had time to sink my hungry teeth into the plethora of music that's been released since last January. And although my expertise isn't necessarily focused on the new, here's my attempt at conjuring up a "best-of" list of 2013 albums. 

In no particular order. 

Fuzz - Fuzz | Released in October on In The Red, Fuzz's debut album was my most anticipated of the year. Ever since the release of their first single in January on Trouble In Mind, I'd been following the trio that is Fuzz - Ty Segall, Charlie Moothart, and Roland Cosio - with bated breath. Although my favorite Fuzz tracks so far have been off those rare singles, the album was absolutely worth the wait. With 8 tracks in total, all infused with ear-shattering riffs reminiscent of early Blue Cheer and Sabbath, Fuzz is a fresh reminder that proto metal is far from dead. 



Night Beats - Sonic Bloom | 
Released in September by The Reverberation Appreciation Society, the Austin Psyche Fest's very own label, Sonic Bloom is Night Beats' second full length album to date. It seems almost impossible that a band who travels 9 months out of the year has time to write a thirteen track album, let alone one that sounds good, but these guys have it. A little Black Angels country psyche with a splash of soul, the songs weave through tempos, some harder or groovier than others, making each new track a pleasant and welcomed discovery. 


The Entrance Band - Face the Sun | I've know these babes for a while now, and have heard their songs performed live more times than I can count, so the release of their album on new Brooklyn-based record label Beyond Beyond Is Beyond in November made me pretty proud. The band's fast-paced psyche rock sound is sometimes difficult to accurately capture on a record, which is why frontman Guy Blakeslee specifically chose the label. Face the Sun does not disappoint. Plus Dirk got to do the amazing cover art. 



Phosphorescent - Muchacho | Matthew Houck, the man behind the band, self-produced Muchacho, which was released March 19 on Dead Oceans. And unlike other musicians who produce their own work, Muchacho sounds full, rich, like a big glass of deep red wine without the impending hangover. The album opens and closes with instrumental tracks, which I could personally do without. But at its core, the bulk of the songs more than make up for it. With 10 tracks in total, the songs vary between upbeat to slow, mournful melodies with just enough conviction in Houck's voice to pull it off. 


Ty Segall - Sleeper | Drag City released Segall's first ever entirely acoustic album on August 24 to widespread praise. The 10 track album was, according to interviews, a sort of memorial for Segall's late father that started off as demos, Segall not really knowing what to do with the songs he had written. The acoustic part was never intentional, just something that happened. And I'm glad it did. His voice on the album is young, with hints of Marc Bolan. And the songs are haunting, catchy, and refreshing, considering the musician's prolific repertoire.  



The Growlers - Gilded Pleasures | My favorite Costa Mesa scumbags The Growlers released their fourth album - technically an EP but I'm counting it - on November 12 off Everloving, while on tour. The songs, like most of The Growlers' material, all contain that dark, carny, drugged-out beach vibe so characteristic of their sound. And that works to their benefit, but also against them, as the songs tend to blend into one by the end of the album. I love these guys though, so I'm fine with it. My favorite track of the 9 is "Hiding Under Covers." Listen here


Okay, so lists are usually ten. But give me a break. I spend most of my time in a classic rock cave. 

The end. 

No comments: